Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Break- new pics on this post and one below








Wednesday Alex and Nami got back from visiting Rome, Venice and Verona and had one more day in Firenze. Last week I had taken them to get reservations for the Uffizi and Accadamia (where the statue of david and lots of other art is). Because I had just been to the Uffizi with my mom and grandma I decided to meet them after they were done and then go to the david with them. How can you pass up a chance to see perfection? We met at the Duomo and headed over to a cafe in piazza della republica and had cappucino. We walked around as our reservation wasnt until 3. The tourists are here in force, although still not quite up to summer levels. Last time I was with Alex and Nami we covered alot of ground and had fun walking so I knew that they would be happy walking around and seeing some of the areas they hadnt been yet. When we reached the accadamia we saw a long line wrapped around the building, but since we had reservations only had a 1 or 2 minute wait. Once in the museum (my5th time!) i took them through the usual route. Into the early renaissance frescoes then into the middle ages and renaissance musical instruments then into the long hallway filled with incomplete sculptures by michaelangelo that leads into the domed room that acts as a frame for The Statue of David. After spending a good 10-15 minutes looking from all different angles we headed through to the plaster mold and statue room then up into the pre-renaissance and russian art rooms. After the museum we went to the duomo to climb it. Although I had a pir of my Italian boots on I decided the climb must be done as it was their last day. We waited in line for about 30 minutes before beginning our acsent. Although there were a few stopping areas it was a pretty straight shot. The stairs at one point are almost vertical, but it makes the amazing view even more appreciated. It was a perfect day to climb. Warm and nice but with large clouds that let huge rays of sunlight through, shining like a spotlight on various parts of my city. Alex is a photographer and he brought along his camera and a couple lenses so he was able to take some amazing shots while he was here. After climbing down We decided that we deserved some gelato so we headed over to Vivoli, the famous florentine gelateria. Nami and i had a couple flavors but Alex, sensing that this could be his last opportunity went for the American size 4 flavor gelato! After gelato we walked to a street market so they could buy a couple souvenires to take home. Using a little Italian I was able to get the prices down a little, although not too much. We then walked across the Ponte Vecchio and around the other side of the arno for a while. We walked dont to the bed of the river, where you used to be able to walk along a concret slab into the liddle of the Arno. Now, since its been raining so much you cant even step onto it. We relaxed there for a while then set off for dinner. I decided to take them to Semolina, the place I have been going to ever since I discovered it with my mom, thanks to Damiano. We started walking when all of a sudden rain started pouring down. We decided to cab it there and arrived relatively dry. We sat down and ordered vino rosso della casa and acua naturale. For antipasti we had insalata caprese, nread with olive oil and balsamic and sliced meats and mozzarella. For primi we had seafood pasta, clam shell pasta and giant ravioli with ricotta and spinach. Secondi we had the seared tuna I wrote about last time and a cheese pizza. Coffe with tiramisu was desert. A very satisfying last meal. I gave a toast to Alex and my new sister Nami and they promised to show me around Japan. Next was my usual farewell trip. I took them up to piazza Michaelangelo to overlook the city. It was great getting to know Alex again and meeting Nami was great too. Shes a very nice young lady and I look forward to getting to know her better. We parted ways at the ponte vecchio with kisses on the cheeks. My roommates and I had to take a train to pisa where our flight left at 1 so we had to be up around 9. That night there was an American rapper named Twista so we went to that so we could see off our friend Al. Al was from Atlanta and had been studying gemology. Although we were our a little late we got up in time and made all out connection to Amsterdam... I have to go to work now but I will pick this back up tomorrow, along with the pics for last post and this one.

7 comments:

jumpingcrane said...

Ciao Bambolino, now we know where you are and where you've been.

Anonymous said...

I do miss our time eating egg rolls and moving 7 footers. Looking forward to the next time we go shopping to buy exotic things. we can run around shouting "we are going to buy exotic things" hopefully while doing this we will run into a forrest, holding hands and skipping on our way to visit exciting new places. see you soon.

david santos said...

Great posting.
I loved this post and this blog.
Thank you.

Без BMW в Минске said...

What do you now about Belarus? ;)

Anonymous said...

I sitting at my desk looking at that food....................so hungry,so so hungry

sprucewolf said...

Great photos and details about the visit. I know Alex and Nami really appreciated your company. Thanks for being such a great host. Yes to spinach and cheese ravioli and cheese pizza and tiramisu. Can you sleep after drinking that coffee?

Anonymous said...

yes- for some reason the coffe only keeps you up in the morning. I guess all the food soaks the caffein up

My travels