Friday, September 7, 2007

Dinner






Like i said in the previous post last night was our turn to cook. We had decided on salmon, artichokes, garlic mashed potatoes and pesto bread. We hadnt bought bread earlier so i had to run out to get some. All the little shops were closed so I had to buy some from a restaurant down the street. When I got back I started prepping the fish. I rinsed it, then added butter, garlic, onions, brown sugar, and lemon. The potatoes were made with chopped garlic, milk and butter. The dinner turned out great. After the meal the guys wanted a bottle so me and Mario went out to find one. It was about 1130 and all the stores were closed. There were some near the Duomo that were open but they were all way overpriced. We ended up finding a little bar that was full of italians. It was dark but nice. A large plasma tv on one side with couches and beds for people to hang out on. The bartender was cool and me and Mario talked to him for a while. They had crazy drinks there, and one group of people ordered a platter of shots in all different colors.



Today I shopped in the street market and then got ready for the school organized basketball. We had to walk for about a half an hour to the court, where we played for a while. The walk was pretty cool as we went along the arno for a while. I saw some places that you can rent canoes and kiyaks. The rest of the day I wandered around Florence and tried to avoid spending money. Right down the street from my house theres two Kabob places that are so good. They cut the meat right off the roast and have all kinds of middle eastern spices and veggies that they roll up in the tortilla. Addictive, like everything else in Italy.



Its weird how detatched from the US im starting to feel. At home I read at least one paper everyday but here i rarely even get to see the news online. Its going to be weird a year from now when i get back and everyone will be talking about the movies and music that i didnt experience. Of course id rather be able to talk about what its like to climb up the Duomo and be able to say with conviction which gellato is the best in all of Florence but it will be strange. I have always heard about how good florentine streaks are supposed to be but they are very expensive so i havent had one yet. I asked one of my teachers about them and he gave me the name of his friends restaurant and told me to say his name and id get a good table and a discount so im looking forward to that. Everything is going great here. i still havent had and real down time, its go go go from morning to night, which is how i like it. Football season started today so we're going to try to find an Irish pub to watch games in.

6 comments:

Bill said...

I guess that's the answer to my question in your previous post, it sounds like you're not spending too much time keeping up with the things you would have had you been in the states. Sounds like you're really living/enjoying the experience. I'm always amazed by what appears to be "reality" or most important to us in comparison to the places we travel to or visit, especially outside the U.S.

For the longest I've thought it to be impossible to live somewhere without letting your mood, outlook on life and your sense of "reality" be affected by what goes on around you.

That probably sounds like common sense but I usually have a "wow" moment when I'm traveling and I experience a shift in my priorities, my thoughts and my mood. What do you all think?

sprucewolf said...

Yes, Bill, I think I understand what you mean. I am much more focused on being "in the moment" when traveling. In my regular daily routine, I am more prone to thinking (ok, worrying ;-)) about the past or the future than just being in the present. I feel stronger when "on the road," more vibrant and resilient and observant. Reading Sean's blog puts me more in my travel state of being, even though I am sitting in Soldotna.

jumpingcrane said...

I've been thinking about sending you this quote that is taped to my calculator and came from the Praire Wind; the magazine for the Nebraska Zen Center in Omaha (near the center of North America where I was born). "Our practice is to live our lives totally and fully moment by moment. As Suzuki Roshi said, to burn ourselves "completely like a good bonfire, leaving no trace." In this way as in the life of the young monk and the Zen master tromping through the snow, there is no monk, no master, only walking, writing, stopping, talking. Only activity. Only life." Only feeling the moment.

Sean Walklin said...

www.seanzen.blogspot.com

Im going to have to change the address.

sprucewolf said...

or www.nosean.blogspot.com ;-)

sprucewolf said...

I meant to say that I'm sure your beautiful dinner was a hit.

My travels